Polyamory in the News
. . . by Alan M.



February 8, 2007

"Something Nice About Monogamy"

San Francisco Bay Times

The San Francisco Bay Times calls itself "the gay/lesbian/bi/trans newspaper and events calendar for the Bay Area." Columnist and psychotherapist Tom Moon writes (Feb. 8, 2007):


Q: Would you say something nice about monogamy? I never hear anybody in the gay community say anything positive about it....

A: I’d be happy to say something nice about monogamy.... Over the past 25 years of counseling gay men and gay couples, I’ve seen every kind of open relationship “work” for some people, and I’ve seen people thrive in every kind of polyamorous lifestyle imaginable. And, yes, I’ve seen couples live quite happily together for up to 20 years or more in monogamy....

Men who prefer monogamy but have also been in open relationships consistently tell me that, in their experience, their monogamous relationships have a deeper level of intimacy. As one man told me, “It’s all about focus and commitment. Since we’re just focused on each other, when we have problems we can’t distract ourselves with outside involvements. We have to hang in there and work on it.”...


Read the whole item.

Oh, and here's another advice column entry (from the Ask Your Mother sex-and-relationships blog) that suggests we're indeed getting more noticed:


Q: I am sick and tired of hearing about Polyamory. It’s everywhere, all the sudden, and no one is talking about monogamy and celibacy, both of which are totally important, valid, real and RIGHT. What’s the deal? Why are you preaching Polyamory so much? Why is everyone?

A: First of all, I am not preaching polyamory. I am not preaching ANY ONE THING as the RIGHT thing....

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

> I am sick and tired of hearing
> about Polyamory. It’s everywhere,
> all the sudden, and no one is
> talking about monogamy

Turns out that's not *quite* true. I did a Google search on the two words, with a filter set for pages that have changed in the past 6 months (tho this filter doesn't work well). Results:

Polyamory: "about 1,140,000" hits
Monogamy: "about 2,030,000" hits

Still, that's pretty close!

Of course, there's a "fish don't talk about water" effect here -- if it's your background assumption, you don't talk about it.

February 10, 2007 10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home