Polyamory in the News
. . . by Alan M.



August 18, 2016

The Normalization of Poly, Part 1,259


So there I was reading an article in The Atlantic about how New England suburbs are losing their young people, and bango, I hit this:


...One such leaver is Matt Kozachek, 27, who grew up in Storrs, Connecticut, attended the University of Connecticut, and lived in Groton after college, working as a software engineer. Life as a Millennial in Connecticut was boring, he says. There were no cool bars or art galleries or fun events to attend, and it was hard to make friends. What’s more, Kozachek identifies as polyamorous, and said that was taboo in Connecticut. So a year ago, he picked up and moved to San Francisco. ...


No further explanation of what the word means or why it's a big enough deal for someone to move away from their home state — even though dating several people, if that's what you thought it means, is as common as rocks and as white-bread as a Connecticut suburb. Readers are just assumed to know better.

The article: An Unsteady Future for New England's Suburbs (August 18, 2016).

(That number in the title, BTW, is the number of posts on this site.)

[Permalink]

3 Comments:

Anonymous Allie said...

Taboo? Not that I could tell when I lived there, though base towns tend toward being either conservative or on the down-low with non-monogamy. There are poly meetups about an hour away, plus I created a couple of my own during my stay there.

August 19, 2016 7:21 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

We have great bars, including gay bars, and fantastic art galleries in New London. And I have not identified as monogamous since l was fifteen and I've never had an issue (that l know of) because of it!

August 20, 2016 11:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

We have great bars, including gay bars, and fantastic art galleries in New London. And I have not identified as monogamous since l was fifteen and I've never had an issue (that l know of) because of it!

August 20, 2016 11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home